By speed boat the journey from Koh Yao Yai to Langkawi is scheduled to take from 8 hours 45 minutes to 10 hours 15 minutes depending upon which service you take.
Ferry Timetable from Koh Yao Yai to Langkawi
- Click on the Koh Yao Yai – Langkawi link in the timetable below for more information and to buy tickets.
|Koh Yao Yai - Langkawi ฿ 3,450–4,300 8h 45m – 10h 15m|
Koh Yao Noi Ferry Pier
Speed services to Langkawi depart from Klong Hia Pier in Koh Yao Yai.
Arrival in Langkawi
Speed boat services from Koh Yao Yai arrive in Langkawi at Telaga Harbour Marina.
Langkawi is part of a group of 99 islands off the coast of Malaysia near to the border with Thailand. Langkawi is a large island, with a land area approximately 470 square kilometres, and population of over 65,000 permanent residents. About two-thirds of the island is covered by forested hills. Mass tourism to Langkawi started at the end of the 1980s, encouraged by the Government of Malaysia which designated Langkawi a duty-free zone which means that alcohol and tobacco is much cheaper in Langkawi than on the mainland. Langkawi receives a lot of Asian tourists, particularly tourists from Malaysia. Langkawi is not, however, backpacker friendly as the island has almost no public transport. To get around visitors need their own vehicle, and anyone wanting to rent a motorbike should note that the rules around having the correct licence are strictly enforced on Langkawi.
Langkawi has a few great beaches and some large man made attractions which will appeal to families:
- Pulau Payar Marine Park: 30 km south of Langkawi Island, the water about Payar Island is excellent for snorkelling.
- Langkawi Wildlife Park & Bird Paradise: Wildlife park featuring a large walk-in aviary, some mammal and reptiles.
- Gunung Raya: 881 metre high hill covered in forest with wild monkeys, eagles and other wildlife. This is a great place for walking.
- Underwater World Langkawi: Aquarium and zoo for land based creatures living near the coast. Features a 15 metre long glass tunnel through an aquarium holding sharks, sting rays and other sea life.
- Langkawi Cable Car: 15 minute cable car trip to the top of a 708 metre hill which travels over a forest. There is an observation deck and some shops and restaurants at the top.