By public bus it takes 6 hours 20 minutes to travel 382 km from Khon Kaen to Sukhothai. There are no rail or air connections between Khon Kaen and Sukhothai.
Bus Timetable from Khon Kaen to Sukhothai
- Click on the ‘Khon Kaen – Sukhothai’ link in the timetable below for more information and to buy tickets.
|Khon Kaen - Sukhothai ฿ 389–465 5h 30m – 7h|
Khon Kaen Bus Station
Bus services to Khon Kaen depart from Khon Kaen Bus Terminal 3, Mueang Kao, Mueang Khon Kaen District, Khon Kaen 40000.
Arrival in Sukhothai
Bus services from Khon Kaen terminate at Sukhothai Bus Terminal, Khuha Sawan Road, Pak Khwae, Mueang Sukhothai, Tambon Ban Kluai, Amphoe Mueang Sukhothai, Chang Wat Sukhothai 64000.
About Sukhothai Historical Park
Sukhothai Historical Park is a UNESCO world heritage site covering an area of around 70 square kilometres with 193 ruins. The part which most people visit, however, is the old walled town which covers an area 2 km by 1.6 km. The park is open daily from 08:30 to 18:00 and entrance to each of the five zones of the park costs 100 THB per person.
The old town of Sukhothai was founded in 1238 and the majority of of the ruins date back to a period from the 13th to 15th Centuries. The major highlights of Sukhothai Historical Park include:
- Wat Mahathat: Founded in the 13th Century, this temple features a large central stupa and 8 surrounding stupa arranged to represent a mandala.
- Noen Prasat: The Royal Palace of the Kingdom of Sukhothai.
- Wat Si Chum: A temple featuring a 15 metre tall seated Buddha statue.
- Wat Phra Phai Luang: The largest temple in the old city dating back to the 12th Century.
- Wat Si Sawai: A Hindu temple dedicated to Vishnu built in the late 12th Century. This temple has three impressive and well preserved prang (Khmer style towers) enclosed by a wall and a moat.