By joint ferry and bus service it takes from 4 to 6 hours to travel from Koh Phangan to Chumphon depending upon which company you travel with.
Ferry Timetable to Chumphon
- Click on the Koh Phangan – Chumphon link in the timetable below for more information and to buy tickets.
|Koh Phangan - Chumphon ฿ 900–1,200 3h 15m – 5h 45m|
Koh Phangan Ferry Port
Koh Phangan Ferry Port is at Thong Sala Pier in Koh Phangan.
Chumphon Lomprayah Ferry Pier
Chumphon Lomprayah Ferry Pier is located at Thung Makham Noi Beach 24.6 km to the South of Chumphon Town.
About Travel to Chumphon
Chumphon Town is not a major tourist destination in its own right. Chumphon has a lively food market in the evenings on the Krumluang Chumphon Road and an interesting train station, but little else that most foreign tourists would be interested in seeing. There are no beaches within walking distance of the town centre either. The reason that most foreign visitors do to come to Chumphon is because it is the closest large mainland town to the ferry piers for services to and from Koh Tao. Chumphon is the transport hub for travel to and from Koh Tao with a train station, a bus station and an airport with services to Bangkok.
From Koh Phangan you are better off travelling via Surat Thani to reach most other destinations in Thailand. There are, however, four destinations in particular where travelling from Koh Phangan via Chumphon is a better option than travelling via Surat Thani:
- Koh Phangan to Ranong: The bus journey from Chumphon to Ranong is much shorter than the bus journey from Surat Thani to Ranong.
- Koh Phangan to Koh Phayam: Ferry services to Koh Phayam depart from Ranong, which is only 1 hour 50 minutes by bus from Chumphon.
- Koh Phangan to Kanchanaburi: There are direct minivan services from Chumphon to Kanchanaburi which means you can save a several hours on the journey by not having to go into Bangkok to change bus or train to complete the journey to Kanchanaburi.
- Koh Phangan to Hua Hin: There are frequent fast bus services from Chumphon to Hua Hin reducing the overall travel time compared to travelling via Surat Thani.